MMMM! Nothing warms the body like a thick, hearty soup served in a delicious bread bowl. There are endless possibilities for filling them with fresh homemade goodness. Made with just 3 simple, staple ingredients: flour, water, and salt, our bread bowls recipe is a must-have from-scratch basic for your homestead kitchen. You can also enjoy these filled with your favorite creamy summer dip.
Authentic Sourdough Bread Bowls
- 2 C Sourdough Starter fed, active
- 2 C Water warm(ish), not hot
- 5-8 C Flour unbleached, all-purpose
- 1 1/2 T Real Salt
- 1-2 T Vinegar Optional as dough conditioner
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients by hand.
- Watch your dough as it begins to come together. Add vinegar if using.
- Scrape out onto floured surface and knead well for 7 mins, rotating and folding.
- Put in prepared bowl.
- Cover and allow to rise until doubled. 2 to 6 hours depending on your home temp.
- Punch down an turn out onto oiled surface.
- Divide into 8 -10 equal portions. You can weigh them if perfection is desired.
- Shape into nice rolls and place on prepared pan for 2nd rise.
- Slash each roll to allow for even rise. Cover the dough with a damp cloth.
- Allow 3 to 6 hours for final rise/fermentation.
- Preheat oven for 15 mins to 400 degrees F.
- Brush tops with egg wash if desired.
- Place a dish of hot water in the bottom of oven to allow bowls to steam while baking.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Enjoy!
Let me know how your family liked this bread bowls recipe.
When I take them from the oven I allow them to cool before I remove the top, spread it with butter and toast it in a pan. I am careful to clear out a pretty deep area somewhat in the shape of an inverted pyramid. This removes some of the center so that I can have room for the soup and it makes a great toasted piece of bread to dunk with as well.